10.22.2009

Tag

10/1/09
i used to be a sun chaser
if you grew up in a place with constant rain you would understand
a sun chaser is one who gets in her car
and drives past the clouds toward the sun
she moves when it moves
she stays when it stays
i did this often during springtime in Eugene
on those rare days of fleeting sun in march, april, or may
i wanted to feel that warmth that brings happiness
i wanted light because I was sick of darkness
i convinced myself it was worth chasing
and at the end of the day, I had to drive home in darkness
back to the place I started.

now I live in Hawaii where abundant sun is all around me
i have to take a cold shower just to not be warm
as much as I tried to convince myself, sun was not what I lacked in Oregon.
sun was just an excuse to leave, to chase something that could take me far away,
or at least make me feel like I was for those few short months it hung around.
sunny days were my temporary escape from darkness, but it was just an excuse.
i was tired of chasing
but I don't have to anymore
now I don't chase
it's all around me
now I sit and wait for whatever it is I have been chasing for so long,
now I'll stay long enough to figure out what exactly I've been running away from.
i stay because staying is what I know I want to do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment